[eduVPN-deploy] data channel compression

François Kooman fkooman at tuxed.net
Mon Nov 20 15:35:57 CET 2017

Hi,

The updates that I just sent to the list make it possible to disable
'compression' to lower overhead and increase performance.

It seems we have reached the point that most traffic is encrypted
(HTTPS) nowadays, so enabling compression only makes sense for certain
use cases. Therefore the default (only on new deployments!) is to not
have any compression on the data channel.

If you want to toggle (enable or disable) compression on your service,
please be aware that ALL CLIENTS will break. They will need a
configuration update.

In order to switch, see [1], specifically the "enableCompression"
option. The default is for now "true" as that keeps current
installations work where compression(framing) was always enabled.

Do not forget to regenerate the OpenVPN server configuration and restart
OpenVPN as shown under "Apply Changes" on that page.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Cheers,
François

[1] https://github.com/eduvpn/documentation/blob/master/PROFILE_CONFIG.md