[eduVPN-deploy] malware/tracking/advertising domain blocking

Jørn Åne jorn.dejong at uninett.no
Mon Nov 19 11:41:10 CET 2018

Den 19.11.2018 10:59, skrev Sjors Haanen:
> Hi all,
>
> If you want to let your users benefit from malware/tracking/advertising
> domain blocking, you can follow the recently added how-to. [1]
>
> Let me know if you have any questions or remarks!

Hi Sjors

Very nice!

I have a question about how the blocklist is applied.
I notice that you use the format:

	local-zone: evil.invalid always_nxdomain

This causes a client to return that the domain does not exist.  For my
own filter, I use:

	local-zone: evil.invalid refuse

This way, webbrowsers will still behave the same (silently fail to load
resources from the domain), but when I use a more advanced DNS client,
like dig, I see that the query was refused.  This makes it more apparent
whether a name doesn't exist or whether it was filtered.  This may ease
debugging in case a bona fide domain is included by accident.  I don't
know of any downsides for "refuse", but I haven't really looked into it
either.

Do you know anything about the difference between these two policies?
Maybe we can try running with "refuse" instead?

--
Jørn Åne
Systemutvikler

Uninett AS