[eduVPN-deploy] Question re connections per process

Rogier Spoor Rogier.Spoor at SURFnet.nl
Tue Apr 7 11:03:24 CEST 2020

Hi Louis,

>> Does that text mean that I need to run one OpenVPN process for every 64
>> users/connections e.g. have 16 OpenVPN processes in order to handle
>>  1,000 simultaneous connections? Or am I mis-reading the text?
>
> *ideal* is at most 64, it is not an (enforced) limit in any way.

In the Netherlands we have one university which has 800 concurrent users
online via eduVPN. The VM we use has only a load of 2.2. They don't use
 split tunneling, so all traffic goes through the VPN.
So basically a bit more than 2 cpu cores should be enough, although we
have provisioned more.

It really depends on what kind of VPN usage you'll have. So far we
notice that our scaling document is very conservative regarding how many
users per CPU are possible. In practise it seems a lot higher.

cheers,
Rogier