[eduVPN-deploy] What is the Shib SP metadata?

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Mon Jul 6 15:43:23 CEST 2020

Hi,

with some live debugging help from Chris Phillipps (thanks!) I was able
to solve this.

The problem was that our federation does not assert any shibmd:Scope
constraints. The eppn was scoped, but Shibboleth by default ignores it
unless it finds its shibmd:Scope constraint and the actual value matches.

So, Shibboleth dropped the eppn on receipt, and from the POV of eduVPN,
the IdP never actually sent an eppn, so it couldn't possibly use it.

The solution was, of course, to relax the Shibboleth checks regarding
Scope checking. I could do that without compromising security because
the eduVPN server connects to only exactly one IdP, and that is under
the control of the same person that administers eduVPN, i.e. yours truly.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter