[eduVPN-deploy] Regarding OpenVPN CVE

François Kooman fkooman at tuxed.net
Wed Apr 21 22:28:56 CEST 2021

Hi all,

The OpenVPN project released new version of the OpenVPN client/server,
2.5.2 (and 2.4.11). The CVE only impacts the server.

For details: https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/CVE-2020-15078

In eduVPN/Let's Connect! 2.x we do not use "--auth-gen-token", so
unauthorized access to the VPN won't be possible because of this
security issue. Furthermore, no "delayed authentication" is used so also
information leakage is not possible without a valid account.

As far as I can tell based on the CVE description there is no immediate
need to address this problem and we can wait for Debian, CentOS and
Fedora provided OpenVPN updates.

Let us know if you have any questions or remarks.

Regards,
François