[eduVPN-deploy] Ubuntu package repository

Joost van Baal-Ilić joostvb-eduvpn at ad1810.com
Fri Feb 19 18:27:03 CET 2021

Hi François!

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 05:20:40PM +0100, François Kooman wrote:
> On 19.02.21 15:59, Joost van Baal-Ilić wrote:
> > https://deb.sury.org/ , maintained by the Debian PHP maintainer,
> > links to https://launchpad.net/~ondrej/+archive/ubuntu/php/ .  I
> > would trust him to ship sane PHP .deb's for Ubuntu.
>
> This is neat for development! Being able to install different versions!
> A bit similar to Remi's RPM repository for CentOS/Fedora. However, I'd
> prefer to stick to the official packages, even though they are made by
> the same person as the reduce the number of moving targets.
>
> To see what I mean by this, check for example [1]:
>
> "The Apache2 FPM configuration has been updated to not pass URLs for
> missing files to PHP-FPM in PHP 5.6 - PHP 8.0 (this is potentially
> breaking change) (Courtesy of Kevin Locke)"
>
> This is something I'd like to avoid having to deal with in case admins
> install the updates and their setup breaks for this reason. Not sure it
> would, but I'd hate having to chase after these kinds of unpredictable
> things.
>
> Note, that switching to this repository would probably be acceptable if
> you offer a service and you are running the only instance, but not when
> having lots of installs "in the field" where you may panic if you see
> such a change coming and can't stop it ;-)

Yes, I understand, that would be bad.

Looking at
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/p/php7.4/php7.4_7.4.3-4ubuntu2.4/changelog
as linked from https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/php7.4-fpm : the php7.4-fpm
shipped with Ubuntu focal (20.04LTS), I believe with php7.4 (7.4.3-4build1) 25
Feb 2020, PHP was copied from Debian unstable/sid to Ubuntu; from then on,
Ondrej was no longer involved in maintaining the package as shipped by Ubuntu.
It seems it were mainly people employed by Canonical doing the work.

I'm not quite sure what's the smartest thing to do here, to be honest.

And unfortunately I can't find the changelogs of Ondrej's packages now.... :(

Bye,

Joost

PS: relevant bit:

php7.4 (7.4.3-4build1) focal; urgency=medium

  * No-change rebuild to enable build for i386

 -- Steve Langasek <steve.langasek at ubuntu.com>  Tue, 25 Feb 2020 14:37:54 -0800

php7.4 (7.4.3-4) unstable; urgency=medium

  * Remove /etc/init/php at PHP_VERSION@-fpm.conf, not
    /etc/init/php at PHP_VERSION@.conf (Closes: #951745)

 -- Ondřej Surý <ondrej at debian.org>  Sun, 23 Feb 2020 08:07:28 +0100