[eduVPN-deploy] Initial CentOS 8 / Red Hat Enterprise 8 / Rocky Linux 8 Support

François Kooman fkooman at tuxed.net
Fri Jul 23 09:50:32 CEST 2021

Hi all,

Some progress [1] was made regarding being able to support "EL8", i.e.
CentOS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Rocky Linux 8. Previously we had
issues [2] (see entire thread) that have not so much been resolved as
now worked around.

For now this is EXPERIMENTAL and not officially supported. We are
writing this mail to get some feedback from parties interested in
deploying on EL8.

We have a working "deploy" script that uses development packages [3],
but the caveat is that EL8 support requires the Remi RPM repository [4]
in addition to the EPEL repository. On EL7 only the EPEL repository was
required.

We have list of all packages that are neither official EL8, nor provided
by us [5].

So far it seems to work well on a Rocky Linux [6] installation. The
installation instructions are the same as for deploying on EL7, instead
of using "deploy_centos.sh" you'd use "deploy_el8_experimental.sh".

So far I noticed some SELinux warnings in the console, that need to be
investigated, but everything does seem to work!

For organizations wanting to deploy on EL8, would the above be
acceptable? Can we include the Remi repository? What other alternatives
would there be? Can you help us test deployments, specifically on Red
Hat Enterprise 8 and perhaps tell us what is missing from the deploy
script for that target?

Thanks!

Regards,
François