[eduVPN-deploy] [2022-02-09] Package Updates

François Kooman fkooman at tuxed.net
Wed Feb 9 16:02:31 CET 2022

Hi all,

* vpn-user-portal: 2.4.2 [1]
* vpn-server-api: 2.3.1 [2]
* vpn-ca: 4.0.1 [3]

This update fixes a small issue with APIv3 that in theory could have
been triggered by applications that already support WireGuard.

We ran into a problem on a server having quite a few users, in this case
occasionally hitting 4k concurrent connections. The PHP process was
becoming very slow and thus requiring too much time to handle new
connections and timing out.

The fix was simple: we added an index on the table recording the
connections. Even though the connection table is automatically cleaned
of entries older than 32 days, it still resulted in a table with ~2
million rows which was a bit too much for good ol' SQLite to search
without index in a reasonable amount of time ;-)

If you update your server as normal [4], the index will automatically be
added, no manual intervention required.

Let us know if you have any questions, remarks or suggestions!

Regards,
François

[1]
https://git.sr.ht/~fkooman/vpn-user-portal/tree/v2/item/CHANGES.md#242-2022-02-08