[eduVPN-deploy] VPN server on ARM32/ARM64 (Raspberry Pi, others)

François Kooman fkooman at tuxed.net
Sat Oct 20 10:59:52 CEST 2018

Hi,

As a little side project I managed to build [0] Fedora packages of the
eduVPN/LC server for both ARM32 (armv7) and ARM64 (aarch64). I tested it
on the Raspberry Pi 3B+ which supports both architectures.

Steps:

1. Install Fedora 28 (Minimal) for ARMv7 [1] on an SD card and put it in
the Pi;
2. Boot the Pi with keyboard, screen and network;
3. Increase the file system size (only growpart, resize2fs) [2];
4. Install all available updates;
5. Reboot;
6. Follow the normal deploy instructions, but make sure you install the
"tar" package first... [3].

Everything seems to work pretty well!

Some issues:

- generating 4096 bits private keys for the client configurations takes
a while, sometimes more than 15 seconds, it is possible to reduce the
key size to 2048 though;
- aarch64 install of Fedora 28 doesn't work, it turns off the display
before you can set anything up. The Fedora 29 image for aarch64 does
work, will make Fedora 29 packages when it is officially released;

Regarding throughput: I don't really have a good setup to test
performance, the WiFi network here is worse than the performance of the
Pi :-)

Let me know if you have any questions! If you have other ARM/ARM64
hardware supported by Fedora, let me know if it works! :)

Cheers,
François

[0] https://github.com/eduvpn/documentation/tree/master/release
[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Raspberry_Pi