[eduVPN-deploy] CentOS 8 support?

François Kooman fkooman at tuxed.net
Wed Oct 16 14:43:59 CEST 2019

On 16.10.19 14:31, Stefan Winter wrote:
> Hello!

Hi Stefan!

> I am going to deploy eduVPN in the RESTENA (Luxembourg NREN) network.

That's great to hear!

> Since CentOS 8 is already out, I would prefer not to bother installing
> CentOS 7 again.

Yeah, I can understand that! I want that myself as well! I'd have
released eduVPN with CentOS 8 support on release day if it was up to me!

> What is the current status of CentOS 8 support? According to GitHub,
> it's not supported yet?

The eduVPN code is completely ready for it, except EPEL8 does not have
the required PHP packages to be able to run on CentOS 8 + EPEL. This is
deferred at least until CentOS 8.1 and possibly later [1]. I didn't want
to put all dependencies in my repository as well...

We _could_ use the Remi repository [2] to get it working, but so far it
doesn't seem *that* important to rush with CentOS 8 support...

Regards,
François

[1] https://pagure.io/epel/issue/75
[2] https://blog.remirepo.net/post/2019/09/24/CentOS-8-repository