[eduVPN-deploy] CentOS 8 support?

François Kooman fkooman at tuxed.net
Mon Oct 21 14:03:00 CEST 2019

On 21.10.19 11:10, François Kooman wrote:
> Of course it would be nice to deploy on CentOS 8. I want that too!
> However, it won't be possible until somewhere in Q1-2020 if we want to
> do it right, and I want to do it right. All that's missing is some
> packages in EPEL we depend on that are waiting for a solution to the
> AppStream EPEL problem...

I wonder if this would actually be enough. It seems CentOS 8 is not that
great for making/running your own RPM packages any longer. Nothing
really works, building packages is broken in almost every aspect:
missing dependencies from EPEL-8, missing software from EPEL-8, stupid
AppStreams that are not useful and make things super complicated... It
seems you are really supposed to use "containers", nobody at RH seems to
still care about building and testing on the platform you are actually
deploying on...

One would expect CentOS 8 to be a release of Fedora from a year ago, but
stabilized. But this is not the case, sure the software is a year old,
but nothing really works like it does on Fedora.

On Fedora the eduVPN packages just work as-is, even with all the latest
and greatest software, languages and libraries. CentOS 8 is *not* really
great to work with. It is NOT simply a stable Fedora from a year ago.

So time will tell what happens next. I'm no longer that interested in it
anymore until such time they improve things *a lot*. Maybe 8.1 will
bring improvements, maybe not. I won't hold my breath.

Regards,
François