[eduVPN-deploy] Question re connections per process

Louis Twomey louis.twomey at heanet.ie
Mon Apr 6 18:05:33 CEST 2020

Hi,
Apologies if this is a dumb question(s), but when looking at how to scale an eduVPN service for a client to handle thousands of users, I’m a little confused by the potential constraints. The recommendation of a max of 64 simultaneous connections per CPU core makes perfect sense to me, but I’m not clear on whether there is a limitation (other than IP pool size) on simultaneous connections per OpenVPN *process*.

The following page states "Depending on your address space the ideal number of simultaneous clients per process is at most 64”:

  https://github.com/eduvpn/documentation/blob/v2/PROFILE_CONFIG.md#openvpn-processes

Does that text mean that I need to run one OpenVPN process for every 64 users/connections e.g. have 16 OpenVPN processes in order to handle  1,000 simultaneous connections? Or am I mis-reading the text?

And if I am interpreting the text correctly, in order to support 1,000 simultaneous connections I guess I would have to either listen on 16 different ports on the same IP address, or configure the server with 16 IP addresses and listen on the same port on all of them?

Thanks,
Louis.
-------
Louis Twomey
Technical Architect
PGP key: C77D9256
HEAnet CLG, Ireland’s National Education and Research Network
1st Floor, 5 George’s Dock, IFSC, Dublin D01 X8N7, Ireland
+353 (0)1 6609040   louis.twomey at heanet.ie<mailto:louis.twomey at heanet.ie>  www.heanet.ie<http://www.heanet.ie>
Registered in Ireland, No. 275301.  CRA No. 20036270