[eduVPN-deploy] Fixed IP - ccd

François Kooman fkooman at tuxed.net
Fri Apr 10 19:05:39 CEST 2020

On 4/10/20 5:06 PM, Vincent Perrot wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Vincent,

> is it possible to define a fixed ip for a specific user with a ccd file?
> I tested by adding a "client-config-dir" directly in the openvpn
> configuration but even by restarting the service it does not work

Due to the nature and architecture of both OpenVPN and how eduVPN had to
"work around" this, it is not possible to do this.

We found that in many cases an *exact* IP-to-user match is not
required... The use of profiles can most likely fill the functional need
[1]. If you have a specific use case where this is absolutely required,
i.e. not just "would be nice", I'd be interested in hearing that!

> I found this commit
> https://github.com/eduvpn/vpn-server-api/commit/013fc9a0ab6e5c2c524c907622910cd25e8a7565
> but it is 4 years old.

Yeah, that is from more optimistic times where we thought we can also do
IP management ourselves, remain stable *and* scale up to 1000s of users
with this ;-)

Regards,
François

[1] https://github.com/eduvpn/documentation/blob/v2/MULTI_PROFILE.md