[eduVPN-deploy] Debian 10 Status

François Kooman fkooman at tuxed.net
Mon Jul 27 21:54:37 CEST 2020

Hi all,

This has been promised for a long time, but finally making headway with
it! I have a working set of the basic Debian 10 eduVPN/Let's Connect!
packages [1], a deploy script, and it works!

I consider the packages of high quality, similar or even better than the
ones for CentOS at the moment. Due to the mess with modules on CentOS 8,
at some point Debian may become the preferred target to deploy on. The
new builder [2] can also very easily build packages for e.g. Ubuntu
20.04, so that will also be on the list for folks interested in
deploying on Ubuntu.

As mentioned, it is not complete, there is still a TODO list I have to
work through and there's no guarantee that if you install/play with it
now that you can smoothly upgrade to the supported Debian 10 packages
later on! Actually I am sure you won't be able to do that :-)

Also, at the moment I have no idea if/how to support upgrades from
Debian 9 to Debian 10 with the new packages as there are substantial
changes by following Debian packaging standards to a much higher
degree... It may require some manual work once the packages are available...

That being said. If you are interested in testing on Debian 10 feel free
to do so, but be willing to trash your VM(s) and start over before
taking it in production!

Clone the repository [3] on your target Debian 10 system, switch to the
"dx" branch and run deploy_debian_10.sh (as root).

Let me know if you have any questions, suggestions, or can help out :)

Regards,
François

[1] https://git.tuxed.net/deb/
[2] https://git.tuxed.net/deb/builder/about/