[eduVPN-deploy] Which ports to open

François Kooman fkooman at tuxed.net
Tue Jun 30 15:46:12 CEST 2020

On 30.06.20 15:35, Stefan Winter via eduVPN-deploy wrote:
> Hello,

Hi Stefan!

> I'm currently starting to deploy eduVPN (yes, settled for CentOS 7 after
> all).

I'm very sorry we still don't have CentOS 8 support, nothing changed
regarding EPEL support (for PHP) in CentOS 8. It seems Red Hat is at war
with itself regarding "modularity", leaving us users in the cold. So one
approach I've been considering, and we're _almost_ there is not depend
on EPEL at all... the only question is whether or not I should pursue
this or still wait for a proper (upstream) solution...

I managed to get the server running on CentOS 8 without any code
changes, it is just about having a dependable future proof platform to
deploy on... At the moment that is CentOS 7, and not (yet) CentOS 8...

> "Network equipment/VM platform allows access to the very least |tcp/80|,
> |tcp/443|, |udp/1194| and |tcp/1194| for basic functionality, the deploy
> script will take care of the host firewall;"
>
> What does "basic functionality" mean? Is it beneficial to open more
> ports? I'd happily do, if there were a list beyond that basic one.

Basic functionality means for the default configuration. If you modify
the configuration and want to have OpenVPN listen on other ports (as
well), for example on udp/443 and/or udp/80 you may need to update the
firewall as well...

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Regards,
François

[1] https://twitter.com/fkooman/status/1273660857294237697 (you may need
to expand thread, shitty Twitter...)