[eduVPN-deploy] Ubuntu package repository

François Kooman fkooman at tuxed.net
Fri Feb 19 13:24:09 CET 2021

Hi all,

As part of some work to cleanup the package builders it seems it is now
also quite easy to make Ubuntu packages, it was requested some time ago [0].

Currently there is a package repository for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (focal). In
case anyone is interested please test them out (on a test server!) and
let me know if it works for you or not. I did some very basic testing
and it seems to be fine.

In order to deploy eduVPN on Ubuntu, you can follow the Debian
instructions [1], but you have to enable the development repository. So
instead of this:

./deploy_debian.sh

You need to do this:

VPN_DEV_REPO=1 ./deploy_debian.sh

Everything else is the same as deploying on Debian. Note that I tested
with an official Ubuntu cloud image running on OpenStack [2] from
2021-02-19.

In case it turns out there is interest in Ubuntu packages, and these
development packages turn out to work well, don't take too much time, we
may move to officially supporting them as well on Ubuntu next to Debian
9, 10 and soon 11. The only problem is that I can't imagine why someone
would run Ubuntu instead of Debian... Anyone can mention any clear
benefits except "we already use Ubuntu everywhere"?

Let me know if you have any questions or ideas!

Regards,
François

[0] https://github.com/eduvpn/documentation/issues/60
[1] https://github.com/eduvpn/documentation/blob/v2/DEPLOY_DEBIAN.md