[eduVPN-deploy] Ubuntu package repository

François Kooman fkooman at tuxed.net
Fri Feb 19 14:00:09 CET 2021

Hi all,

As a follow up, it seems there are some problems with supporting Ubuntu.
It turns out, LTS does not really mean that the packages we use are
properly supported!

> $ ubuntu-security-status
> 437 packages installed, of which:
> 411 receive package updates with LTS until 4/2025
>  13 could receive security updates with ESM Apps until 4/2030
>  13 packages are from third parties
>
> Packages from third parties are not provided by the official Ubuntu
> archive, for example packages from Personal Package Archives in
> Launchpad.
> For more information on the packages, run 'ubuntu-security-status
> --thirdparty'.
>
> Enable Extended Security Maintenance (ESM Apps) to get 0 security
> updates (so far) and enable coverage of 13 packages.
>
> This machine is not attached to an Ubuntu Advantage subscription.
> See https://ubuntu.com/advantage

So, as it turns out 13 packages are not supported at all now (the 13
third party packages are related to eduVPN and supported by us), they
come from universe, but you can buy support for them. It was
surprisingly hard to list them! [1].

> $ ./pkgs-from.sh universe
> Listing all packages installed from: universe.
> apt-transport-https
> iptables-persistent
> libonig5
> libqrencode4
> netfilter-persistent
> php-constant-time
> php-fpm
> php-mbstring
> php-psr-log
> php7.4-fpm
> php7.4-mbstring
> pwgen
> qrencode
> Number of packages found from universe category is: 13

It turns out (part of) PHP is *not* supported under LTS and some other
small tools that don't really matter. This is quite a disappointment! I
am not sure what to do about this exactly, nor do I know exactly what
this means... Is there really no support for php-fpm on Ubuntu?

Cheers,
François

[1] https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ravexina/scripts/master/pkgs-from.sh