[eduVPN-deploy] [2021-02-24] Package Updates

François Kooman fkooman at tuxed.net
Wed Feb 24 13:59:21 CET 2021

Hi all,

* vpn-lib-common: 2.2.4 [1]
* vpn-user-portal: 2.3.7 [2]
* vpn-server-api: 2.2.10 [3]
* vpn-server-node: 2.2.7 [4]

It has been a while since the last update! A lot has happened, but not
everything immediately visible. To list some of the bigger changes to
the VPN software itself:

* tls-crypt can't be disabled anymore
* simplify "Info" page in portal admin
* do not rewrite eduVPN configuration files under /etc/vpn-* to keep
comments and structure

Next that that a lot of work happened on the IRMA authentication plugin
[5], and we started integrating WireGuard support, see this blog post
[6] and documentation [7].

Furthermore I got myself some more new "toys", a Raspberry Pi 4 that I
now use for ARM64 builds of eduVPN which is super nice! [8]. I also
hopefully get a RockPro64 tomorrow that should have, among other
features, hardware AES, something the Pi 4 *still* lacks after all
revisions the Pi went through.

The RPM and DEB builders got a big overhaul and are simpler now, we can
build for Debian 9 (stretch), 10 (buster), 11 (bullseye) and sid. Also
Ubuntu 20.04 (focal) was added as a build target and it seems to work
fine, see my earlier mail about this [9].

All the server source code moved to SourceHut [10], to make another step
in becoming independent of "big tech". We'll keep mirrors of source code
on GitHub for the time being, but that will stop at some point, probably
around the time we have a proper documentation site so we don't have to
point to GitHub any longer to read documentation.

We moved around some repositories, even though the old ones will keep
working. At some point (before May 2021) we'll update all repository
locations and will have a new layout. At the same time we'll also renew
some keys that are about to expire and as such will require adding the
new key in any case.

I probably forgot stuff that happened, but this is what I can come up
with at the moment.

Let me know if you have any questions, remarks or want to contribute!

Regards,
François

[1]
https://git.sr.ht/~fkooman/vpn-lib-common/tree/v2/item/CHANGES.md#224-2021-02-23