[eduVPN-deploy] High availability for VPN Nodes?

Marc Langer marc.langer at uos.de
Wed Jul 27 18:03:33 CEST 2022

Am 06.07.22 um 12:47 schrieb François Kooman:

> They can't be "migrated". If one node fails for example, the client
> will have to talk again to the portal to fetch a new configuration and
> then will get a configuration for one of the nodes that is still up.
> That won't work indeed as the nodes have different "tls-crypt" keys.

Hi François ,

I had to solve some other problems in the meantime and now came back to
test my eduvpn3 setup. I have two machines, each have the portal and a
VPN node installed.

There is a HA IP address managed by keepalived. My problem at the moment:

When VM2 is VRRP master, the portal on VM2 generates a OpenVPN
configuration file with the hostname of VM1, but the host key seems to
be wrong. When I manually change the servername to connect to VM2, it works.

So I must have something wrong with the node keys and configuration. I
followed the instructions in the documentation, and cannot find the error.

Do you have any idea where to start, what to check first?

Here some parts of the config:

On both hosts:

     'ProfileList' => [
         [
             'profileId' => 'Uni-Netz',
             'displayName' => 'Uni-Netz',
             'hostName' => ['eduvpn3-1.rz.uni-osnabrueck.de',
'eduvpn3-2.rz.uni-osnabrueck.de'],
             'nodeURL' =>
['http://eduvpn3-1.uni-osnabrueck.de:41194','http://eduvpn3-2.uni-osnabrueck.de:41194'],

On eduvpn3-1:   /etc/vpn-server-node/config.php:

     'apiUrl' =>
'http://eduvpn3-1.rz.uni-osnabrueck.de/vpn-user-portal/node-api.php',
     'nodeNumber' => 0,

On eduvpn3-2:   /etc/vpn-server-node/config.php:

     'apiUrl' =>
'http://eduvpn3-2.rz.uni-osnabrueck.de/vpn-user-portal/node-api.php',
     'nodeNumber' => 1,

Each have different /etc/vpn-server-node/keys/node.key and
/var/lib/vpn-user-portal/keys/tls-crypt-Uni-Netz.key files. Perhaps
these are wrong?

Thanks,

Marc

--