[eduVPN-deploy] High availability for VPN Nodes?

François Kooman fkooman at tuxed.net
Thu Jul 28 13:37:09 CEST 2022

On 28.07.22 09:51, François Kooman via eduVPN-deploy wrote:
>> On both hosts:
>>
>>        'ProfileList' => [
>>            [
>>                'profileId' => 'Uni-Netz',
>>                'displayName' => 'Uni-Netz',
>>                'hostName' => ['eduvpn3-1.rz.uni-osnabrueck.de',
>> 'eduvpn3-2.rz.uni-osnabrueck.de'],
>>                'nodeURL' =>
>> ['http://eduvpn3-1.uni-osnabrueck.de:41194','http://eduvpn3-2.uni-osnabrueck.de:41194'],
>
> This looks good!

Actually, in your setup, you'd use the shared IP hostname for the
`hostName` field, just duplicate it, i.e.:

 >> 'hostName' => ['eduvpn3.rz.uni-osnabrueck.de',
'eduvpn3.rz.uni-osnabrueck.de'],

That should always keep the hostname the same. Assuming of course that
your keepalived has the IP pointed to by eduvpn3.rz.uni-osnabrueck.de.

> So in vpn-server-node you want to point to the shared hostname, e.g.
> http://eduvpn3.rz.uni-osnabrueck.de/vpn-user-portal/node-api.php so the
> HA is actually used. Your setup is a bit strange in that you setup two
> machines to do the task of 4, so some things don't make sense anymore. I
> have to think how this is supposed to work.

Okay, so it should just work. You can use the shared hostname.

> So currently the instructions are for 2 portals and 2 nodes on all
> different machines. Some things, but I don't know what exactly, need to
> change if you have only two systems. I have to do this myself first to
> figure it out...

I walked again through all instructions and setup 2 portals and 2 nodes,
updated the docs as I still found some issues and it all works as expected.

So I think in your case the only real difference is the `hostName` field
as mentioned above which should contain the same hostname (points to IP
used for keepalived), the rest should be exactly the same...

How did you deploy the systems? Using deploy_debian.sh? Or the
deploy_debian_controller.sh / deploy_debian_node.sh?

Regards,
François