[eduVPN-deploy] High availability for VPN Nodes?

Marc Langer marc.langer at uos.de
Thu Jul 28 18:03:43 CEST 2022

Am 28.07.22 um 13:37 schrieb François Kooman:
> So I think in your case the only real difference is the `hostName`
> field as mentioned above which should contain the same hostname
> (points to IP used for keepalived), the rest should be exactly the
> same...

Hi François,

thanks, now it works:

I copied these (incl. keys and certificates) from one node to the other:
- /etc/vpn-user-portal
- /etc/vpn-server-node
- /var/lib/vpn-user-portal

... and used the generic hostname eduvpn3.uni-osnabrueck.de (pointing to
the keepalived HA IP) as apiURL in vpn-server-node/config.php and twice
in a row as hostname in vpn-user-portal/config.php.

I seemed to have missed some files before, that were not synchronised
and were blocking the functionality. Therefore I experimented with
different hostnames and settings, which made the setup inconsistent.

When keepalived switches the active node, I get disconnected using a
manual configuration in NetworkManager. I did not test the native apps
yet. Will they automatically reconnect? Then they will establish the
connection to the other node then.

> How did you deploy the systems? Using deploy_debian.sh? Or the
> deploy_debian_controller.sh / deploy_debian_node.sh?

I called deploy_debian_controller.sh and afterwards
deploy_debian_node.sh on both machines. Is this ok, or will it have
broken something? But I changed so many things afterwards that it will
not matter any more.

Best regards,

Marc

--